The perfect place to track the love and laughs our children bring us each day!





Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Walk-In and Wait Clinic

Whew! I am proud to say that all 4 of the kids are now vaccinated against the regular flu for the year. It has been an adventure! Our pediatrician holds a walk -in flu shot clinic for established patients and they don't allow you to make an appointment. After this years experience, I have renamed the clinic to "walk-in and wait"! The clinic opened yesterday and having 4 children I decided that it was worth it to be a part of the panic herd and get everyone vaccincated ASAP. I decided to split the shots and take 2 children at a time this year since Smoke Bomb and Bottle Rocket were in school yesterday. Things went great for the morning appointment. Then I picked up the older 2 kids after school and headed back to the pediatrician for round 2. Needless to say, people came out of the wood work to have their children vaccinated! It was standing room only! Patients with regular appointments could not even check-in. I was quite disappointed in the entire organizaiton of the doctors office. The ladies at check-in looked shocked at all the people. After hearing them tell others and myself that they never expected this many people to come in the first day after school, I could no longer hold my tongue. I asked what they expected seeing as how the media has been saturated for months about the flu. I also asked how many nurses were giving shots and they had ONE! So after a 2 hour wait, we left shotless and unhappy (the boys were happy since they did not have to have a shot!). I was so fired up - if it had been more organized and prepared, I would not mind waiting- no big deal when the effort is there, but this was poor. I decided to call the manager and leave a message. Of course she never called back. I guess that was just for my peace of mind! I let it bother me all night for some reason. So back I went again this morning - I proudly walked in at 8:30 to check in for the flu shot clinic that began at 9am. The lady who checked me in called me by name, so I guess they all knew the "crazy lady's" name! Perhaps the mangager replayed my message on the speaker phone for the office last night to give everyone a good laugh! We got the shots quick and were out in a jiffy. When we arrived at Bottle Rockets School to check him in late, 2 little children were throwing up all over the nurses office (which is directly adjacent to the school office! The check-in lady said hurry and sign your name, then get out and wash your hands! What are the odds, that we would walk in at just that time? I began to laugh at the whole thing! I had been trying to take measures to prevent illness in the kids and probably exposed them ALL to more germs than the possibility of getting the flu! Three trips to the doctor and one to the infested school office! Sometimes if you don't laugh you will cry! I think the message here was for me to be quite thankful that we have 4 healthy children!

Question of the day: We had the option of having the flu mist or flu shot for the older kids today. I decided the shot would be best. While deciding in the room, Bottle Rocket piped in and told the nurse he was ready for the shot because he was not sure how they would get a bandaid up in his nose! Wow! Something so small as a bandaid for a reward can create such happiness! Don't forget - it is the small things in life that matter the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment