The perfect place to track the love and laughs our children bring us each day!





Wednesday, April 21, 2010

WHEW!

On Tuesday I attend a bible study and take the youngest two with me as they provide childcare at church. Three weeks ago, we were driving home and Fire Cracker informed me that his teachers had asked him and his friend to stop running. He then admitted that he had not, in fact, listened to the teachers. He said, "I kept running and did not want to listen". I was proud of his honesty and willingness to talk to me, but needless to say we had a few talks prior to our return the next week. Well yesterday after bible study, we were sitting together having lunch and Fire Cracker exclaimed with a wide smile, "Mama, I listened and followed directions today at church.....and I did my best"! It completely melted my heart! You see, ever since Bottle Rocket was about 3 years old, our family has had 4 rules the kids must follow:
1) Listen
2) Follow directions
3) Be respectful
4) Do your best
*5) Be nice - has since been added
These rules were the brainchild of MacGyver who was teaching elementaary physical education at the time. They were the rules in his class and just right -simple enough to understand and follow for small kids, yet all encompassing for most issues........do not throw toys in the house, don't eat that, don't hit your brother, try again, use your manners, don't sit on the dog, don't pick your nose, try your vegetables, etc. You name it (or break it!), and we can fit it into a rule category!

So back to Fire Cracker and our lunch date. I was thrilled! He got it! He has been listening! He actually knows the rules! The words from our mouths are not reverberating off the walls! The kids are paying attention! They really are learning what we teach them! Whew! As a parent, there are quite a few days and times when it is easy to question how much is sinking in with your children. This affirmation will keep me going for some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment